The role of the Speakers of the County Assemblies is anchored in the Kenyan Constitution under article 178 of the Kenyan Constitution of 2010.
Majorly the role of a Speaker of a county Assembly is to preside over the proceedings of the sittings of the Members of the County Assemblies (MCAs) in a county Assembly.
In the absence of the Speaker the Deputy Speaker assumes the role of the Speaker ,if both are absent then the Members of the County Assembly will elect one of the member to preside over the sittings of the Assembly.
The following are the roles of the Speaker of the County Assembly.
1. Presiding over the debates of the County Assembly at every sitting of the Assembly.
2. Maintaining county Assembly attendance register.
3. To enforce and observe the Constitution, the standing orders,relevant statute and the Assembly traditions, procedures and practices.
4. To discipline Members of the County Assembly for misconduct in the county Assembly.
5.To issue orders and Making rules as pertains to the regulation of visitors to the county Assembly precincts.
6.To Administer the Oath of affirmation or allegiance to Members.
7. To issue writs for Vacant county Assembly seats with the guidance of sudden provisions.
8.To protect the rights of the minority while making sure that the majority have their way.
9. Organize the business of the House as they are since the Speaker is the chairman of the House Business Committee.
10.The Speaker is the spokesperson of the County Assembly and shall ensure that the dignity of the County Assembly is upheld and its rights and privileges are not abused.
Qualifications of the Speaker of the County Assembly in Kenya.
1.Must be a registered voter.
2. Must not have been a public officer since 9th February 2022 unless reviewed otherwise by the courts.
A candidate can be Disqualified
A person shall be Disqualified from being elected as a speaker of the County Assembly if the person;
1.Is a state officer or other public officer other than a member of the County Assembly.
2. Has any time within the 5 years immediately before the date of election, held office as a member of the Independent Electoral Commission of Kenya
3. Has not been a citizen of Kenya for at least 10 years immediately preceding the date of election.
4.Is of unsound mind.
5.Is declared bankrupt.
6. Is Serving a sentence of imprisonment of at least 6 months
7.Has been found ,in accordance with any law,to have misused or abused a state office or public office or to have contravened chapter six.
Candidates contesting should pick Nomination forms from the office of the clerk of the Assembly and return them 48 hours before the first sitting when elections are held after swearing in of member of County Assembly.
The Candidates shall have the following documents;
1. Dully filled and signed Nomination/application forms.
2. Certified copy of the Candidates National identification card.
3.Certified copies of Academic certificates
4.Current certificate of good conduct from the National police Service.
5. Current clearance from Higher Education Loans Board.
6.Current clearance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority.
7. Current clearance certificate from CRB
8.Clearance from Ethics and ant-corruption Commission on integrity issues .